Choosing a Breast Implant Surgeon
Size, shape, surgery type, and recovery time are all very important when considering breast implants. Even more important, however, is the cosmetic surgeon you select – you want to find a San Diego surgeon with the right set of skills and qualifications as well as someone who you are comfortable with. Ask for a consultation to discuss any questions or concerns.
Qualifications for a Breast Implant Surgeon
When selecting a cosmetic surgeon for your new breast implants, look for someone who has specialized training in breast augmentation and that he or she continues to receive training in the latest breast implant technology. Membership in the American Society of Cosmetic Breast Surgery offers annual continuing medical education courses to instruct and update cosmetic surgeons in breast enhancement techniques. Your surgeon should be a diplomate of the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery or the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
In addition, make sure your plastic surgeon has further specialized training in breast implants and that he or she continues to receive training in the latest in breast implant technology.
Ask if your surgeon has operating privileges at an accredited or licensed hospital or surgical facility in the San Diego area, since these facilities also require that breast implant surgeons have the proper education, training, and overall track record.
Other Questions to Ask Your Potential Surgeon
Before your breast implant procedure, ask your surgeon the following questions:
- What surgeries do you perform most frequently? It’s important to find a cosmetic surgeon who has a lot of experience with breast implants in particular and not someone who only performs the implant procedure from time to time.
- How long have you been performing breast implant surgeries? Again, look for a surgeon with specialized experience with breast implants.
- Do you have testimonials and before-and-after photos from previous patients? Take some time to review these and make sure you like what you see.
- What is expected of me? For optimal results, ask your surgeon what you’ll need to do – both before and after the procedure – to ensure that everything goes smoothly and that you’re thrilled with your implants
- What else should I know? Make sure your surgeon answers all of your questions and provides useful information.
Finally, you should sure you are comfortable with and confident in your breast implant surgeon; take the time to establish the rapport before surgery to ensure greater satisfaction after the procedure.